Top Menu

Home Forums Discussion by State Kentucky CCDW on School Property

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paul 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

I’m confused about the CCDW laws on school property.

527.070 Unlawful possession of a weapon on school property — Posting of sign —
    Exemptions.
    (1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a weapon on school property when he knowingly deposits, possesses, or carries, whether openly or concealed, for
    purposes other than instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, or the
    purposes permitted in subsection…

But as you continue to read 527.070 you come to this:

(3) The provisions of this section prohibiting the unlawful possession of a weapon on school property shall not apply to:
    (a) An adult who possesses a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a vehicle
    operated by the adult and is not removed from the vehicle, except for a
    purpose permitted herein, or brandished by the adult, or by any other person
    acting with expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on
    school property;

To me 527.070 (1) says I CAN’T bring a weapon on school property.

But 527.070 (3)(a) says I CAN bring a weapon on school property as long as the weapon remains in my vehicle.

Sometimes I shoot pictures on school property. I’ve been leaving my weapon at home in fear of breaking the law. Can someone please clarify if it’s legal to bring my weapon as long as I leave it in my vehicle?

Thanks,

Paul

Jacob Paulsen
    Participant

Paul, you are reading it correctly. The law allows that one can maintain the firearm in the vehicle as long as it isn’t removed from the vehicle or brandished by the owner while on school property.

This is all within the context of having a CCDW permit as you noted already but its worth repeating because without the CCDW permit one could not have the firearm within 1000 feet of a school regardless.

Paul
    Participant

Thanks Jacob for the clarification.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.