Top Menu

Home Forums Guardian Nation Dry fire practice outside of the house.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Jones 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

David Jones
    Participant

I have a work schedule of 14 hours a day driving a truck around town. Any good ideas on training while away from the house as I am out more than in?

Jerry
    Participant

Hi David,

I’m away from home most of the day too and found that the SIRT gun is a valuable tool for getting in some reps. I simply locate a target and start training. A target can be literally ANYTHING. While it doesn’t replace live fire training it certainly keeps up the perishable skills of site acquisition, trigger pull, shooting around cover etc. There are quite a few videos on line that provide training tips for the SIRT. One note…You’ll want to buy the PRO model that has the green laser; it can be seen easier than the red one in the outdoors. (red laser works but the green is easier to see)

I hope you find a good solution for your training needs. Let us know if you come up with something that works for your situation.

Jerry

Jacob Paulsen
    Participant

Jerry, good tip on the SIRT and the Green Laser for outdoors. I hadn’t even thought about it being easier to see outdoors but I’m sure you are right.

Another idea I would add is mental rehearsal. Taking a pause at any point in your day and imagining in your mind a potential threat entering your environment. Imagine yourself (mentally only) drawing your firearm, moving to cover, and addressing the threat. These exercises are most helpful when you imagine things in very slow motion, emphasizing each act from draw to drip to sight alignment in great detail.

David Jones
    Participant

That sounds like a great way to build up some muscle memory and work on finding my front sight in the casa. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.