Top Menu

Home Forums General Firearm Discussion How Long Is Ammo Good?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bob 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Your “Online Concealed Carry Course” is excellent, especially for the small cost, even if someone was not interested in getting the Virginia CCW permit.
    I appreciate you putting it together and making it so easily available.
    I see in your course that you say to keep ammo fresh by using older ammo first. I’m looking at my box of Remington 9mm Luger Brass Jacket Hollow Point ammo and I don’t see the expiration date that you mentioned, on the box.
    I have purchased lots of FMJ rounds for target practice, but only keep a few boxes of these hollow points. How often should I shoot up the boxes of my good stuff and replace it?

Jacob Paulsen

Bob, thanks for asking. I have also started to notice manufacturers that are not putting dates on the box anymore. As a general rule of thumb I would recommend that ammunition not age beyond one year. That said generally around election years ammunition cost doubles and becomes scarce. I try to stock up early in an election year and that ammunition may age 18 months on me before I use it.

Hope that helps!

Thank you Jacob. That helps very much.
    I’m really enjoying your video course. You have some very good suggestions. I was going to a public shooting range, but after watching one of your videos, I joined a private shooting range.
    I guess you can never be 100% sure, (look at Chris Kyle) but at least if it’s members using the range, they are checking them out some.

Thank you,

Hollow point ammo I fire off once a year, I also use it if and when a new gun is purchased and or ANY new magazines. Some plastic magazines will not feed hollow points. So it is a good Idea to try hollow point in all guns and ALL magazines you own. Hollow point is for personel protection, but not if they will not feed.
    Just food for thought.

Thank you Mark. That’s good information. I will start trying it.

I think it depends on a lot of factors, ie. how tight is it crimped, how dry was the powder when made, how dry is the storage location, if kept in a sealed cabinet with moisture protection, probably for a lot of years.
    I have a case of 7.62 X 54 original Russian ammo made in 1940 that fires perfectly, I have original Russian 7.62 X 39 rounds made in 1945 and maybe one out of 300 are duds, [possibly bad primers], the powder stills burns when tested.
    new factory will probably [and should] fire good ten years later, [unless kept in cold/hot/damp conditions].
    storage is a big factor, don’t throw out any rounds that are past any dates, those dates may not be reliable.
    self defense rounds should be rotated each year [for your own safety], common sense plays into it too !!!

Thank you for your input Dougwalk. I have purchased a couple of sealed ammo boxes to store my ammo.
    I will be shooting off my self defense ammo each year, for sure.
    I am considering upgrading my self defense ammo to “Cor Bon DPX” when I shoot off what I have now (Remington Golden Saber). I’m hearing that it is supposed to be really good.
    Of course my target ammo will get shot off pretty quick anyway. I’m getting a pretty good price on it through my gun club.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.