Top Menu

Home Forums Concealed Carry Stopped by police when cc

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacob Paulsen 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Gary
    Participant

Everybody says to let the cop know you are carrying, but what do you say if he asks to hold your weapon while he is talking to you. Do you say no or do you go along ? Does it vary by law from state to state?

Jacob Paulsen
    Participant

It is a very common practice for LE to retain your firearm while they complete the traffic stop. It is the easiest way for them to feel comfortable and safe while they do their job. I’ve had an officer maintain my firearm during a traffic stop at least 15 times and its never been an issue.

As to the law; most state laws only have references to following instructions given, or providing documentation when requested. I am not aware of any laws that would prevent the officer from removing the firearm from the gun owner during a confrontation.

I will add caution about this process however. When an officer determines that they want to retain your firearm during the confrontation they need to physically remove the firearm. For the gun owner to reach for, handover, or at all touch the firearm is a darn good way to get shot. In my experience officers are generally good at giving the right kind of directions to ensure the gun owner correctly gives the officer access to the firearm without putting hands anywhere near it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.